Glencoe, California

Populated place
Also known as: Mosquito Gulch

Photo 

Store Glencoe CA

Photo HABS/HAER 1933, courtesy Library of Congress

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Post office dates: Jan. 20, 1873-Present

"GLENCOE (MOSQUITO GULCH) - Glencoe was formerly called Mosquito Gulch. The business portion of the town was on the north side of Mosquito Gulch, but not one of the old buildings remains. The mines were first worked by the Mexicans in the early 1850s - quartz mining predominated but there was some placer mining." - California Historic Landmark No.280

Update Log 

  • March 29, 2019: New photo from Richard Doody
  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • January 2, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources