La Grange, California

Populated place

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Post office dates: Dec. 2, 1854-Present

"LA GRANGE - French settlers originally established the community of French Bar along the Tuolumne River in 1850. After the destructive floods of 1851-52, citizens of French Bar relocated one mile upstream above the floodplain. Renamed La Grange, the new town prospered as a mining and agricultural community, and served as the county seat of Stanislaus County from 1856 to 1862." - California Historic Landmark No.414

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • January 3, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources