Coulterville, California

Populated place

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Post office dates: Nov. 20, 1852-Present

"COULTERVILLE - George W. Coulter started a tent store here in early 1850 to supply the hundreds of miners working the rich placers of Maxwell, Boneyard, and Black Creeks. He also built the first hotel, water for it was pumped from a well by two Newfoundland dogs. Originally called Banderita from the flag flying over Coulter's store, the settlement became Maxwell Creek when the post office was established in 1853, but the name was changed the following year to honor Coulter. The family of Francisco Bruschi, who erected the first permanent building here, provided the town's leading merchants for over eighty years. Despite their crude methods, and with only wood for fuel, the nearby quartz mines operated for years and produced millions of dollars worth of gold, Andrew Goss built the first stamp mill for crushing their ore." - California Historic Landmark No.332

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • February 28, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources