Lockeford, California

Populated place

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Post office dates: June 19, 1861-Present

"LOCKEFORD (LOCKE'S FORD) - It was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin on this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the Boston and Newton Joint Stock Company, left Boston on April 16, 1849 to cross the plains and arrive at Sacramento on September 16, 1849. Because he built and maintained a ford across the Mokelumne River, his wife, Delia Hammond Locke, in 1859 named the town he laid out on his ranch Lockeford." - California Historic Landmark No.365

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • December 28, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources