Kansasville, Wisconsin

Populated place

Photos 

Welcome to Kansasville

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in December 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Post office dates: May 4, 1856-Present

There is some dissension over how Kansasville, an unincorporated community in the Town of Dover, received its name. Some say it took its name from settlers who came east from Kansas, but most people think it took its name as a stop on a railroad line that ran from Parkersville (today's Sturtevant) to the Quad Cities and eventually, to Kansas.

As for today's Sturtevant, the town has survived four name changes. For more about Sturtevant and the branch line that serves Kansasville, see Corliss (Sturtevant) Train Station in the Racine County listings.

The Milwaukee Road filed for bankruptcy in 1990 and much of the railroad was acquired by the Canadian Pacific. Sturtevant is still a busy railroad town, CP Rail operations use the mainline, as does Amtrak, and CP Rail still uses the branch line between Waxdale, (an S.C. Johnson & Son plant) and Kansasville.

Update Log 

  • December 17, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources