Byler Road

Also known as: Byler's Turnpike, Byler's Ridge
11 mi. N of Northport, off U.S. 43, Northport, Alabama

The oldest public road in Alabama still in use today.

Map 

Description 

Byler Road is the oldest public road in Alabama still in use today. Constructed in the mid 1820s, it connected Courtland near the Tennessee River with Tuscaloosa near the Warrior River. The road spurred development in Lawrence, Winston, Walker, Fayette counties, and was traveled by both Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 19, 1974
Reference number
74000438
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1822

Update Log 

  • May 27, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources