Hadley Parabolic Bridge

For more details on this road, please
visit our companion Bridgehunter.com website
CR 1, Hadley, New York

Lenticular truss bridge over Sacandaga River on Old Corinth Road at Hadley

Map 

Description 

The Old Corinth Road Bridge, a two-span iron parabolic truss, was built in 1885 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company, East Berlin, Connecticut to replace a covered timber bridge that crossed the Sacandaga River in Saratoga County, New York. Based on an 1878 patent granted to William O. Douglas of Binghamton, New York, its main span is the only extant half-through truss of the three known to have been built. The bridge represents a period of American bridge building when the shop-fabricated/field-erected metal truss was the dominant structural form of highway crossings in most parts of the country. ... -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER NY-292)

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 25, 1977
Reference number
77000981
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Semi-deck Lenticular Truss
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation; Invention
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1895

Sources