East Laporte Street Footbridge

Spans Yellow River, Plymouth, Indiana

Steel, wood decked, two-span Kingpost truss bridge built specifically for pedestrian traffic

Photos 

Overview Looking Southeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"The East LaPorte Street Footbridge spans the Yellow River, linking a residential area with the downtown. The immediate area has an abundance of trees and undergrowth.

"The bridge could best be described as a two-span Kingpost, constructed of metal. It is six feet wide and 100 feet long. The approximate height of the trusses is 20 feet. The two kingposts are supported by piers set in concrete, with diagonal bracing to the deck. An additional metal support is located in the center. Supports are set in concrete,

"The structure has a wood plank floor that has been periodically replaced over the years. Approaches are of concrete."

Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form prepared for the National Park Service. Document prepared by Ronald D. Gifford, City Attorney, July 15, 1980. A link to the document is listed below in the "Sources" category.

NRHP Nomination, Laporte Street Footbridge 

Written by Ronald D. Gifford, Plymouth City Attorney, July 1980

"The East LaPorte Street Footbridge is significant as a longstanding local landmark, that has traditionally linked the eastside residential area with downtown Plymouth.

"An 1881 map indicates that there was then a bridge crossing the Yellow River at the location of the present structure. According to the minutes of the Plymouth Common Council, several residents petitioned the Council to construct a replacement bridge during the summer of 1898, apparently due to the deterioration of the old bridge and because a structure was needed that could bear vehicular traffic. The Council contracted H. B. Bassett, of the Rochester (Indiana) Bridge Company, to construct two bridges. The Blain Bridge was erected at Taylor (Garro) Street of steel and wrought iron to carry vehicular traffic, and the East LaPorte Street Footbridge was constructed at the same time. Both bridges were completed by December of 1898. The Blain Bridge was replaced in the 1920s, but the footbridge survives.

"At the time the footbridge was constructed, it led from a residential section of the city to a largely undeveloped area which is now the hub of the commercial district in downtown Plymouth. The access provided by the two bridges no doubt contributed to the growth of this commercial area. The footbridge was been greatly utilized since its construction, and with the recent opening of a new senior citizens residential complex, the bridge is receiving even greater use, giving residents access to the downtown without the need for automobiles.

"In addition to its use as a pedestrian thoroughfare, the bridge has, for many years, served as the point from which the depth of the Yellow River has been measured by local observers. The equipment for such measuring has been attached to the upper portion of the bridge."

Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form prepared for the National Park Service. Document prepared by Ronald D. Gifford, City Attorney, July 15, 1980. A link to the document is listed below in the "Sources" category.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1981
Reference number
81000001
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Z-Span Kingpost
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1898

Update Log 

  • September 9, 2016: Essay added by J.R. Manning
  • October 31, 2014: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources