Wescott Road

Also known as: Westcoat Road
W of SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Wescott Road,

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

One of the last undisturbed remnants of the main road on Edisto Island, Wescott (or Westcoat) Road, undoubtedly named for the Westcoat family of a nearby plantation, is according to local tradition a short stretch of what was the old King’s Highway. Laid down in the Colonial era, this section of the road was isolated when S.C. Highway 174 was straightened and paved ca. 1940. The road is an oak-lined dirt road approximately 2/5 mile in distance. The road both begins and ends at its intersection with S.C. Highway 174. Robert Mills’ Atlas indicated a main road through Edisto Island along the approximate route of the present-day thoroughfare. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1986
Reference number
86003195
Area of significance
Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1825

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 29, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources