Paris, Iowa, is an unincorporated crossroads in northeastern Linn County. There are four named streets on a grid (including the two roads that enter the area) but it shows signs of having been more at one time. There are signs of commercial enterprise in the past.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2013
+42.23843, -91.5781942°14'18" N, 91°34'41" W
Quadrangle map:Central City
Paris is an unincorporated community in northeastern Linn County. It is not to be confused with the township, Paris, Howard County, Iowa.
The first white settlers in the area around Paris were the James Lytle family, in 1841. Paris was founded and staked out on the west side of the Wapsipinicon River, in sections 19 and 20 of Jackson Township, in 1845. A school was established just west of Paris in 1850. The Iowa Exposition of 1889 was held in Paris.
Former United States Senator Richard C. Clark (1973-1979) was born in Paris in 1929.
- April 6, 2013: New photos from J.R. Manning
- March 24, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Coordinates, added a description and photos