Fort David A. Russell

Also known as: Fort Francis E. Warren, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base
West side of Cheyenne, Cheyenne, Wyoming


Fort David A. Russell, Veterinary Hospital

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress



The Red Cross Building was constructed in 1941-1942 to house the F.E. Warren Branch of the American Red Cross. Formed in 1941 with the outbreak of World War II, this auxiliary of the Red Cross's Laramie County Chapter provided wartime humanitarian services to Warren-based soldiers, their families and to others aided by the Red Cross at home and abroad. The building was constructed from a standard design developed by the American Red Cross. Using relatively simple wood-frame construction, it features a Colonial Revival architectural motif. This integrates it well within the mainstream of the military architecture at the base. As a well-preserved part of the material culture of World War II, the Red Cross Building illustrates the extent of the wartime effort in the United States, and it forms a local manifestation of this important relief organization. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS WY-154)

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1969
Reference number
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Historic function
Military facility
Current functions
Military facility; Air facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1867; 1911
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 19
Contributing sites: 1