Fort Tejon

Also known as: Fort Tejon State Historic Park
3 mi. NW of Lebec, Lebec, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"FORT TEJÓN -This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and protect the Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. Camels for transportation were introduced here in 1858. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important military, social, and political center - it was abandoned September 11, 1864." - California Historic Landmark No.129

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71000140
Areas of significance
Military; Transportation; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Military facility
Current functions
Museum; Park
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1854; 1864
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 17

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • March 3, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources