Angel Island, U.S. Immigration Station

SE of Tiburon in San Francisco Bay, Tiburon, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The U.S. Immigration Station at Angel Island was the major West Coast processing center for immigrants from 1910 to 1940. What Ellis Island symbolizes to Americans of European heritage who immigrated to the East Coast, Angel Island symbolizes to Americans of Asian heritage on the West Coast. The largest island in San Francisco Bay, Angel Island was used as a Prisoner of War Camp during World War II. It was declared surplus in 1946 and since 1963 has been a California State Park. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 9, 1997

"ANGEL ISLAND - In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove. While here, the commander, Lieut. Juan Manual de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. This island, which Ayala named Isla de los Angeles, has been a Mexican rancho, a U.S. military post, a bay defense site, and a quarantine and immigration station." - California Historic Landmark No.529

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 14, 1971
Reference number
71000164
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Mission/Spanish Revival
Areas of significance
Military; Archeology - Prehistoric; Social History; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential; C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Military facility; Water-related; Camp; Hospital; Single dwelling; Fortification
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1750-1799; 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1850-1874
Significant years
1775; 1850; 1865

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • December 15, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources