Fort Sam Houston

Also known as: Port of San Antonio
N edge of San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas

Photos 

Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio Quartermaster Depot

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Band Barracks, one of the last completed buildings in the area now referred to as Infantry Post, provided separate quarters for the Fort Sam Houston Band (previously housed in the center of Sallyport structure at the east end of the Post). Built in 1893, the band quarters was compatible in materials and scale to others on post, yet distinctive in its own design. Its presence adds to the comprehensiveness of the late 19th-century building stock at Fort Sam Houston. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TX-3303-10)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 15, 1975
Reference number
75001950
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Military facility
Current function
Military facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1876; 1898; 1916
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 103

Related landmarks 

Sources