Radar Station B-71

Also known as: Klamath Ranger Station, Trinidad Radar Station, Klamath River
W of Klamath, Klamath, California

Photos 

Radar Station B-71

ROOFTOP VIEW OF BOTH POWER AND OPERATIONS BUILDINGS FROM COASTAL DRIVE LOOKING NORTHWEST WITH PACIFIC OCEAN IN BACKGROUND.

Photo from the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Radar Station B-71 is a rare surviving example of a World War II radar station established to provide coastal defense for the United States. Although the equipment was removed long ago and only two buildings (the Power and Operations buildings) remain, the radar station represents the U.S. development of radar technology in the first part of the twentieth century. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER CA-332)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 19, 1978
Reference number
78000282
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Military facility
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1942
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing sites: 1

Sources