Mission de la Purisima Concepcion de Maria Santisima Site

Also known as: Site of Mission Vieja de la Purisima
Bounded by Locust Ave., city limits, E and G Sts., Lompoc, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"MISSION LA PURÍSIMA - Established December 8, 1787, by Father Lasuén, the mission was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1812. Removed from control of Franciscans during secularization of the missions, it was abandoned in 1834. State and National Park Services and the Civilian Conservation Corps restored major and many small structures and the water system so that today La Purisima is the only example in California of a complete mission." - California Historic Landmark No..340

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 5, 1978
Reference number
78000775
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Spanish Colonial
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Religious structure; Military facility; Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • March 14, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources