Dutch Harbor Naval Operating Base and Fort Mears, U.S. Army

Amaknak Island, Unalaska, Alaska



Dutch Harbor and Fort Mears Naval Operating Base served as the main base for the American presence in the Alutian Islands during World War II and received the most serious air attack on North America during the war. Dutch Harbor was an important north Pacific stopover in the lend-lease program with the Soviet Union. The Office of the Quartermaster General constructed the buildings, which were utilitarian in design, with variations to suit the Aleutian climate and terrain. Predominantly built during the period 1941 through 1944, the naval operating base was decommissioned in 1947. Fort Mears was declared surplus in 1952. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS AK-34)

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1985
Reference number
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Historic functions
Naval facility; Military facility; Battle site
Current function
Air facility
Period of significance
Significant years
1940; 1945
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 8
Contributing structures: 16
Contributing sites: 1