Centreport Aqueduct

2462 NY 31, Weedsport, New York

Former Erie Canal aquaduct now the center of a popular local park

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

This wide ditch was once the location of the Erie Canal, the Centreport Aqueduct is in the distance. When the Erie Canal became part of the New York Barge Canal, some of the original canal was relocated, in this case, just north of this alignment.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in September 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Centreport Aqueduct carried the Erie Canal over the confluence of the Cold Spring Brook and North Brook. (North Brook was an original feeder for the Erie Canal.)

There were three stone piers built to carry the canal. They were spanned with 16" square oak beams that were topped with pine planking. The aqueduct was 75 feet 6 inches long with three spans.

32 such aqueducts carried the Erie Canal over streams and rivers in the 386 mile route the Erie Canal followed from Albany to Buffalo. 34 locks lift the canal.

In 1917, the Erie Canal became a part of the New York State Barge Canal and the route changed in many places.

Today, the stone structure that supported the aqueduct is part of a popular local park. A new bridge that resembles the original bridge on the towpath was built in 1990. Empty piers on the other side of the canal was the location of a bridge that carried the heelpath. Today the bridge carries bicycles and pedestrians instead of tow horses.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 2000
Reference number
00000051
Areas of significance
Transportation; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899
Significant years
1854; 1857; 1895
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • October 1, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • October 1, 2020: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, updated description and added photos

Sources