San Buenaventura Mission Aqueduct

234 Canada Larga Rd., Ventura, California

Map 

Description 

"SAN BUENAVENTURA MISSION AQUEDUCT - The aqueduct at Canada Larga Road is two surviving sections of viaduct about 100 feet long and made of cobble stone and mortar. Originally, the watercourse ran from a point on the Ventura River about 1/2 mile north of the remaining ruins and carried the water to holding tanks behind the San Buenaventura Mission, a total of about 7 miles. The aqueduct was built by Chumash Indians 1805-15 to meet the needs of the mission population and consisted of both ditches and elevated stone masonry. The entire water system was destroyed by floods and abandoned in 1862." - California Historic Landmark No.114-1

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1975
Reference number
75000497
Area of significance
Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water works
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
1794

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources