Walter C. Porter Farm

Also known as: Porter Farm
2 mi. N of Terrell on FR 986, Terrell, Texas

Map 

Description 

Here, in 1903, Dr. Seaman A. Knapp (1833-1911), special agent of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, organized the first cooperative farm demonstration, which was designed help local cotton farmers deal with the boll weevil. From this one highly successful demonstration, the entire nation-wide Agricultural Extension Service has developed: Boy's Corn Clubs, Ladies' Canning Societies, 4-H Clubs, and intensified county fair activities all stem from the extension work begun on the Porter Farm. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 19, 1964

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000819
NR name
Porter, Walter C., Farm
Area of significance
Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural fields; Research facility
Current functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural fields
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1903
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1