Marcus Sears Bell Farm

Also known as: New Richmond Heritage Center
1100 Heritage Dr., New Richmond, Wisconsin

A historic farm that is the centerpiece of an outdoor museum


West (Front) Face

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2015




This farm has always been a part of the New Richmond area. Amazingly, only two families have ever lived in the house. The house and granary were built in 1884, the barn was rebuilt in 1916. These three structures are on the NRHP.

The farmhouse is the center of an outdoor museum of historic structures. These buildings are not on the national registry. Although some of the buildings are not local in origin (the church came from Superior) the village shows what life was like about the time of the cyclone.

The land that was the farm is now the location of a school, a housing development and an industrial park.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 31, 1988
Reference number
NR name
Bell, Marcus Sears, Farm
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Animal facility; Storage
Current function
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1884; 1890; 1910
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1


19th Century (36,028)
Built 1884 (447)
Built during 1880s (6,075)
Ceramic tile (3,230)
Farm (1,799)
Italianate (5,018)
Moved (2,187)
New Richmond MRA (13)
New Richmond, Wisconsin (13)
Private owner (54,396)
St. Croix County, Wisconsin (39)
Victorian (19,685)
Wisconsin (2,389)

Update Log 

  • October 5, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos