Manship Farmstead

2601 Manship Rd., Tatum, South Carolina


Manship Farmstead, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at



The Manship Farmstead is a collection of resources which are significant as an intact early twentieth century agricultural complex. The farmstead includes the main house, seven outbuildings (commissary/carriage house, warehouse, two barns, tobacco barn, tenant house, and well house), a farm bell, the Manship family cemetery, and associated historic rural landscape. The main house, constructed in 1906, is an example of early twentieth century concrete block construction. Purchased by Charles Manship in 1842, the property was passed down through the Manship men. A fire on the morning of April 16, 1906 destroyed the original dwelling and adjacent buildings on the property. Immediately thereafter, Julian Manship cut and planed the wood building materials for the replacement buildings. Forms were constructed for three different shapes of concrete blocks which were poured on site and from which the new house was built. The new commissary was built first and the family lived there until the house completed. The farm complex has remained in the same family for six generations. The Manship Farmstead is representative of a disappearing resource, and is significant as one of few intact rural agricultural complexes of its period in the Pee Dee region. Listed in the National Register June 4, 1997. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1997
Reference number
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Storage; Animal facility; Processing; Cemetery
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Storage; Storage; Processing; Cemetery
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924
Significant years
1850; 1906
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 7
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • September 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller