Woodson Farmstead

Demolished
3 Powdersville Rd., Greenville, South Carolina

Lost historic farm house in Powdersville, SC

Photo 

Woodson Farmstead, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Woodson Farmstead consisted of an 1895 two-story farmhouse, a ca. 1875 cotton house and well house, and remnants of an early twentieth century pecan grove and fruit orchard. Contributing to upstate South Carolina’s agriculture for over 150 years and playing an instrumental part in the establishment of the Powdersville community, the Woodson Farmstead was a notable landmark. Established in 1852 by William Woodson, the farm exemplified mid-nineteenth to mid-twentieth century upstate agriculture. There were 13 known structures (including the first two Woodson dwellings, a slave residence, and multiple agricultural outbuildings) and 3 outhouses built on the property after 1852. The farmstead was a successful producer of corn, hay, cotton, tobacco, and oats. A tangible reminder of that agricultural success was the third and current house constructed on the property in 1895. James Allen Woodson commissioned expert carpenter and builder John O. Sheck of Washington, DC, to build an impressive home. Distinctly rural piedmont in form, the Woodson farmhouse displayed picturesque Queen Anne and Eastlake ornamentation in a way that distinguishes it from many other typical upcountry farm residences. Stained glass windows and elaborately crafted porch detailing were exceptional in a rural farming community at the time of construction. The cotton house was a one-story, gable-front pine structure that rests on a stone foundation. The well house was a pyramidal roofed structure supported by four peeled posts. The well itself was constructed of wood and has a hand crank and pail still in place. Listed in the National Register April 30, 1998. - SCDAH

Demolished in 2011.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 30, 1998
Reference number
98000422
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Victorian eclectic
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Storage; Agricultural outbuildings; Agricultural fields
Current functions
Single dwelling; Storage; Agricultural outbuildings; Agricultural fields
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1875; 1895
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • February 19, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Year Lost" and updated "Description"
  • October 24, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources