Navesink Light Station

100 Government-Lighthouse Rd., Highlands, New Jersey

Description 

From 1828 until 1949, the twin towers of Navesink served as one of the principal lights for guiding ships into New York harbor, the busiest port in the United States. The station had the distinction of being the first in the United States to test several important lighthouse technologies including the revolutionary Fresnel lens, the use of mineral oil, and an electric flash bivalve lens. In 1899 the station was the site of the first demonstration of commercial wireless telegraph in the United States. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, February 17, 2006

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 17, 2006
Reference number
06000237
Level of significance
National
Property type
District
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1