Ashland Harbor Breakwater Light
Breakwater's NW end in Chequamegon Bay, 2 mi. N of Bay City Ck. mouth, Ashland, Wisconsin
A hexagonal reinforced concrete tower at the foot of the Ashland breakwater.
As seen from the shore
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2013
+46.62818, -90.8704846°37'41" N, 90°52'14" W
Quadrangle map:Long Island
The lighthouse was designed to be operated with electricity and a submarine cable runs beneath the harbor to the light. The lighthouse keepers residence is on shore. The breakwater does not reach the shore, the light is serviced by boat.
In 1980, with the harbor no longer being used by large freighters, the fourth order Fresnel lens was replaced by an acrylic device, a 12 volt, solar powered optic that guides mostly pleasure craft into the harbor.
The light is inaccessible to tourists.
Ashland's former iron ore docks were dismantled, although a short segment remains (as of this writing) at the foot of the former ore docks.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 2007
- Reference number
- Areas of significance
- Maritime History; Transportation; Architecture; Engineering
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
- August 11, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Coordinates, status, added description, links and photos
- Lighthouse Friends - The web site of the Lighthouse Friends, this page is dedicated to the subject lighthouse.
- Seeing the Light - Terry Pepper's delightful website dedicated to western Great Lakes lighthouses.
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- National Register database - Reference number 07000103