Cape Henry Lighthouse

Atlantic Ave. at U.S. 60, Virginia Beach, Virginia

Photo 

Old Cape Henry light

Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Completed in 1792, this is the first lighthouse to be erected by the Federal Government. The 90-foot-high stone tower was in constant use until 1881. It is currently administered as part of Colonial National Historical Park. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 29, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000910
Areas of significance
Transportation; Communications
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic functions
Water-related; Coast guard facility
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1792; 1881

Update Log 

  • July 13, 2010: New photo from Bill Eichelberger

Sources