Hunting Island State Park Lighthouse

Also known as: Hunting Island Lighthouse
17 mi. SSW of Beaufort on U.S. 21, Beaufort, South Carolina

Photos 

Hunting Island Lighthouse, Lighthouse

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

One of the sea islands near Beaufort, Hunting Island has lush, unspoiled vegetation and wild beauty. It was formerly accessible only by boat, but is presently connected to the mainland by a bridge and causeway. The original lighthouse, a wooden structure built about 1859, was destroyed by beach erosion. In replacing the lighthouse, the US Coast Guard built a tower 136 feet tall. Made of cast iron plates, this was located about ¼ mile from the shoreline, and was designed for relocation if necessary. The new lighthouse complex, completed in 1875, included the keeper’s dwelling, a fire-proof oil house, and several other storage buildings. By 1889, the sea had cut away the northern end of the island, and did necessitate relocation of the lighthouse to its present site, 1 ¼ miles south of the old site. Before its abandonment by the US Lighthouse Service in 1933, Hunting Island Lighthouse cast a 120,000 candle power beam out to sea. Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 5, 1970
Reference number
70000561
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1875; 1889; 1933

Update Log 

  • May 29, 2015: New photo from Michael Miller
  • June 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources