Sand Key Lighthouse

7 mi. SW of Key West on Sand Key, Key West, Florida

Photos 

NORTH CORNER

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This is one of the most important lights on the coast of the United States. It was first lighted on July 20, 1853, and is the second oldest of the six iron screw pile light houses which extend from Fowey Rocks to Sand Key to mark off-shore keys, shoals, and reefs which are hazardous to coastal shipping. It is the only one of these lights not standing entirely in water. J.W.P. Lewis, one of the most noted American designers of lighthouses, designed the structure. The lighthouse possesses both historical and technological interest. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1973
Reference number
73000589
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Iron Screw Pile Lighthouse
Areas of significance
Engineering; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1853

Update Log 

  • December 1, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • May 11, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources