Michigan City Lighthouse

Washington Park, Michigan City, Indiana

Photos 

Overview.

Photo taken by Nathan Holth in May 2009

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The building served as a navigation lighthouse for shipping on the southern shore of Lake Michigan. It served in this capacity from 1858 until 1934 when a new facility replaced it. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1974
Reference number
74000023
Areas of significance
Transportation; Architecture; Maritime History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Water-related; Multiple dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1858
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • July 2, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
  • July 1, 2010: New photos from Nathan Holth

Sources