Georgetown Lighthouse

Also known as: Georgetown Light
On North Island, about 12 mi. SE of Georgetown, Georgetown, South Carolina

Photo 

Georgetown Lighthouse, Lighthouse

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Begun in 1799 and lighted in 1801, the Georgetown Lighthouse is the oldest active lighthouse in South Carolina and one of the oldest in existence on the south Atlantic coast. However, a tablet above the entrance notes 1811 as the date of erection, differing from the nomination formís conclusion. During the Civil War, the lighthouse was used by the Confederates as an observation post until it was captured by Union forces in May 1862. The lighthouse tower, in the shape of a truncated cone, is 87 feet tall. The stairs and center supporting post were cut from solid stone, and the outer walls are of brick. The light was rebuilt in 1812 and 1867. The lighthouse complex is in a cleared area of scrub-covered sand dunes and includes several one-story buildings that form the Coast Guard station, a dock on Winyah Bay, and a radio tower. Listed in the National Register December 30, 1974. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1974
Reference number
74001857
Areas of significance
Military; Transportation
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic functions
Water-related; Coast guard facility
Current functions
Water-related; Coast guard facility
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1801

Update Log 

  • September 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo

Sources