Grosse Point Light Station

2601 Sheridan Rd., Evanston, Illinois

Photos 

Overview.

Photo Courtesy Illinois Historic Preservation Agency HAARGIS Database

Map 

Description 

A coastal brick tower built on the Great Lakes, Grosse Point Light Station was the lead navigational marker in the waters of Lake Michigan just north of Chicago Harbor. The light safely guided lakeborne traffic through one of America's most commercially important and highly traveled corridors, a shipping route which connected the East Coast, Great Lakes, and Gulf Coast shipping interests. In recognition of the importance of this lighthouse to maritime navigation, Grosse Point Lighthouse was fitted with the first second-order Fresnel lens on the Great Lakes. Decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1941, the second-order Fresnel lens remains in place in the lantern and all original buildings survive unaltered. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 20, 1999

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 8, 1976
Reference number
76000707
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; State; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic functions
Water-related; Single dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Single dwelling; Water-related
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1873
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • July 19, 2010: New photos from Nathan Holth
  • July 1, 2010: New photo from Nathan Holth