Fort Gratiot Lighthouse

Omar and Garfield Sts., Port Huron, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Fort Gratiot Light

This lighthouse, oldest in Michigan, was built in 1829 to replace a tower destroyed by a storm. Lucius Lyon, the builder, was Deputy Surveyor General of the Northwest Territory and later a United States senator from Michigan. In the 1860s workers extended the tower to its present height of 84 feet. The light, automated in 1933, continues to guide shipping on Lake Huron into the narrow and swift-flowing St. Clair River.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1976
Reference number
76001975
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Water-related; Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
1814

Update Log 

  • July 28, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth

Sources