Point Bolivar Lighthouse

TX 87, Port Bolivar, Texas

Map 

Description 

Point Bolivar Lighthouse is located 1/4 mile west of Loop 108 on Highway 87 in Galveston County. Built in 1872, it is one of only two cast iron beacons that still exist on the Texas Gulf Cost. The lighthouse is important to the commercial, cultural and political history of the region. Now in private hands, the lighthouse and various outbuildings occupy about two acres of land on Bolivar peninsula. It is the most prominent structure one sees coming across the three-mile pass from Galveston Island, rising 117 feet above sea level... -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 18, 1977
Reference number
77001445
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Mallable-iron Lighthouse
Areas of significance
Industry; Art; Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1872; 1873

Sources