Sherwood Point Light Station

Sherwood Point Road on Green Bay, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin

The last manned lighthouse on the Great Lakes, automated in 1983

Photos 

Entrance

Note the hand-built stone fence surrounding the property.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in September 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This lighthouse is NOT open to the public. The facility is operated as a rest and recuperation center for members of the US military. It is only open to the public every June during the Annual Lighthouse Festival.

Still in operation, although automated, the light is an important marker to Sturgeon Bay from Green Bay. A canal runs southeast from Sturgeon Bay that allows passage from Green Bay to Lake Michigan, this lighthouse marks the way.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 19, 1984
Reference number
84003663
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Water-related; Single dwelling; Coast guard facility
Current functions
Single dwelling; Water-related; Coast guard facility
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1883

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources