North Point Lighthouse

Wahl St. at Terrace, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

A Once vital navigation lighthouse on Lake Michigan, built with cast iron and steel, now decommissioned and open to the public as a museum.

Photos 

Looking Southwest

As seen from the south portal of the North Lion Bridge in Lake Park.

There are two Lion Bridges with a courtyard between them. The lighthouse is located on a peninsula of land between two deep ravines that the Lion Bridges cross. Lake Michigan is behind the photographer.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The North Point Lighthouse represents a time within Milwaukee history when maritime travel was quite vital to the economy. It was in an era when waterways were the proverbial "highways" between the cities. The North Point Lighthouse, along with approximately 88 other lighthouses, facilitated the intercity travel between: Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay and beyond. With this in mind, the birth of the North Point Lighthouse made Milwaukee a more prominent "dot on the map."
~Statement of Significance, HABS/HAER Report

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 19, 1984
Reference number
84003732
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Water-related; Coast guard facility
Current functions
Water-related; Coast guard facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1888; 1913
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • March 17, 2016: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • July 1, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added HABS/HAER Statement of Significance
  • October 4, 2010: New photo from J.R. Manning
  • June 28, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources