Rear Lighthouse of Hilton Head Range Light Station

Also known as: Leamington Lighthouse
Arthur Hill Golf Course, Palmetto Dunes Resort off US 278, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Tower with Lantern Room

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Rear Lighthouse of the Hilton Head Range Light Station was constructed by the United States Lighthouse Board in 1879-1880 as part of a system of lights and beacons to guide shipping in Port Royal Sound. The lighthouse is significant as one of the few surviving lighthouses in South Carolina, and as the only one of its type remaining in the state. The Rear Lighthouse and a small brick oil house survive of the complex, which originally included a keeper’s house and a forward beacon, which was mounted on a second keeper’s house. The lighthouse consists of a cast iron skeleton, a cylindrical stair tower, and a wooden watch room and lantern room structure. The tower was originally sheathed in wood; sheet steel sheathing was added, probably in 1913. The hexagonal watch room is at the top of the stair and the skeleton frame. The lantern room is above the watch room; the original focal plane of the light was eighty-seven feet from the concrete base and ninety-two feet above sea level. The light could be seen from fifteen miles away. None of the lantern hardware is intact. The system was taken out of service and the Rear Lighthouse abandoned sometime in the 1930s. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1985
Reference number
85003349
Areas of significance
Engineering; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Coast guard facility
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1879; 1880
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 1, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources