Port Washington Lighthouse and Light Station Museum
311 E. Johnson St., Port Washington, Wisconsin
Cream City Brick lighthouse, restored and open to the public as a museum.
West Side, Looking East
That's Lake Michigan in the background.
Note the light room, catwalk and tower. The originals were removed in 1934, but restored in 2002 in a most unusual way. (See "Description" below.)
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
This lighthouse was built in 1860 with Cream City Brick, as are most of the lighthouses around the Great Lakes. Part of the building is constructed with bricks salvaged from a previous lighthouse that was dismantled for reasons lost to history. A pierhead lightouse was constructed in 1889 and both lights operated until 1903, when this station went dark. The light tower was removed in 1934 and the structure was converted to a duplex. During the restoration in 2002, a new light was built by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The reproduction of the light tower was constructed in Luxembourg as a gift to the people of Luxembourg descent of Port Washington and in memorial of the American Army liberating Luxembourg from the Nazis in World War II.
In the light room, an acrylic reproduction 4th order beehive Fresnel lens matches the lens that was part of the original light tower. It was added in 2006.
For more about the restoration, visit the Light Station Restoration page of the Port Washington Historical Society.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1999
- Reference number
- NR name
- Port Washington Light Station
- Architectural style
- Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
- Area of significance
- Maritime History
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic function
- Coast guard facility
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
- Number of properties
- Contributing buildings: 2
- July 3, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status
- August 27, 2010: New photo from J.R. Manning
- August 19, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added Description and Cream City Brick tag.