Dock Street Theatre

Also known as: Planters' Hotel
135 Church St., Charleston, South Carolina

Photos 

Facade

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Dock Street Theatre is an excellent example of a historic building being usefully adapted to meet the needs of the city while preserving visual evidence of our past. Once known as the Plantersí Hotel, the Dock Street Theatre complex is the last surviving antebellum hotel building in Charleston. The three-story building is a valuable example of the Federal-transitional commercial hotel. The hotel underwent several enlargements as shown by differences in brick coloration and composition of voussoirs. Because of the various expansions, the building can be described as six separate buildings. The main building is the oldest, dating from ca. 1809, and contains a recessed, three-step porch with six brown sandstone columns, two of which are engaged. This recessed porch shelters five round arches; the three central ones contain massive double doors. Projecting outward above the recessed porch is a wrought iron open-work balcony with flat columns and hipped roof. The most recent building is located at the interior of the lot. Built in 1935, this building contains the main theatre stage. Notable interior features include Federal woodwork and the grand staircase in the lobby that ascends to the drawing room. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1973
Reference number
73001684
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Federal; Federal transitional
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Hotel; Single dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
ca. 1809
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • January 14, 2019: New photos from Michael Miller
  • January 26, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 14, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 14, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources