Akron Jewish Center
Also known as: Balch Street Community Center220 S. Balch St., Akron, Ohio
Former Jewish Community Center, now owned by the City of Akron
Overview Looking Northwest
The building is difficult to shoot. It is in a residential area and surrounded by lots of foliage.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2016
+41.08662, -81.5342341°05'12" N, 81°32'03" W
Quadrangle map:Akron West
The Jewish Center was founded in 1920 and moved into this building in 1929. Today, the Jewish Center is located on White Pond Drive on Akronís far west side.
The City of Akron operates the Balch Street Community Center. The Balch Street Fitness Center offers a full work out area, a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, basketball court, racquetball court, aerobics classes, boot camp classes, cardio combo classes, game room and swim lessons.
Note the terra cotta symbols that are a part of the original building.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1986
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Victorian: Romanesque
- Areas of significance
- Architecture; Social History
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current functions
- School; Theater
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1928; 1929
- October 9, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos
- August 20, 2010: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger