2--4 S. Court St., Sullivan, Indiana
Former theater, now functioning as a church
Overview Looking Southwest
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in November 2016
+39.09528, -87.4086839°05'43" N, 87°24'31" W
"The Sherman Building is a three story, rectangular, red brick structure with white terra cotta trim and a flat roof. Designed by local architect F. J. Nicholas and constructed in 1915 by Cuthbert J. Sherman, the building has elements of the neoclassical and commercial styles, and is prominently sited on the northwest corner of Sullivan's Courthouse Square (photo #10). The building houses a theatre in the first and second floors and offices on the third floor."
Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by J. David Shrum, February 22, 1986. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."
Since this application was made, the building has undergone a few external changes and it is now a church.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 22, 1986
- Reference number
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic functions
- Professional; Theater
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant years
- 1915; 1916
- November 30, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos