Sheboygan Theater

Also known as: Stefanie H. Weill Center for the Performing Arts
826 N. Eighth St., Sheboygan, Wisconsin

1928 extravagant movie palace lovingly restored to its former glory

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning May 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"The motion picture industry built extravagant movie palaces in cities all across the nation in the 1920s and the Sheboygan Theater is an exceptionally fine and very intact example of this now highly endangered resource type. This 1550-seat combined motion picture and live theater building was constructed in the heart of Sheboygan's downtown in 1928 at a cost of $600,000 for the Milwaukee Theater Circuit of the Universal Pictures Corporation. The Theater's Spanish Colonial Revival style design was created by architects employed by United Studios, Inc. of Chicago, a firm that specialized in designing and building movie theaters, and the general contractor was the Immel Construction Co. of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. This steel frame T-plan building has a twenty-two-foot-wide two-story-tall terra cotta-clad main facade that fronts onto N. Eighth Street, this facade being both the public front of the Theater and the east end of a 22-foot-wide x 90- foot-long rectilinear plan wing that contains the Theater's ticket office and entrance lobby. The west end of this wing is attached to the east-facing side elevation of the 70-foot-wide x 130-foot-long rectilinear plan auditorium wing of the Theater, the north-facing main elevation of which fronts onto Niagara Avenue. The N. Eighth Street facade is the Theater's only architecturally treated elevation, its other elevations all being clad in brick and having almost nothing in the way of ornamentation or any but a purely functional arrangement of window and door openings. The Sheboygan Theater's relatively modest exterior, however, is more than made up for by the interior, which is an excellent and still mostly intact example of the elaborate atmospheric designs that came into vogue in the larger movie theaters of the 1920s, the interior in this case being designed to resemble a summer evening in a romantic Spanish garden."

-From the National Register of Historic Places Application form. A link to the document can be found below under "Sources".

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 22, 1999
Reference number
99001606
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Mission/Spanish Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Theater
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1928

Update Log 

  • May 13, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos
  • December 28, 2011: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources