Pickens County Courthouse

50 N. Main St., Jasper, Georgia

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

PICKENS COUNTY Created December 5, 1853, and named for General Andrew Pickens of Revolutionary fame. The first settlements sprang up along the Old Federal Road which fol- lowed in general the route of the high- way through Tate, Jasper and Talking Rock. Mount Oglethorpe (formerly called Grassy Knob), Burrell Top of Burnt Mountain and Sharp Top Mountain dominate the skyline in the northeastern part of the county; to the southwest is Sharp Mountain. Coming of the railroad in 1883 made pos- sible development of a large and import- tant marble industry. 112-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 29, 2008
Reference number
08000352
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Politics/Government
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • August 3, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • November 10, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
  • October 3, 2010: New photos from Eddie Douthitt
  • July 20, 2010: Updated by Eddie Douthitt: Added coordinates

Sources