Old Courthouse, Warren County

Court Sq., Vicksburg, Mississippi

Photos 

Warren County Courthouse

1. Historic American Buildings Survey James Butters, Photographer July 15, 1936 FRONT (SOUTH ELEVATION)

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Old Warren County Courthouse, Vicksburg Mississippi was dedicated 16 June 1858. Built by Weldon Brothers, Antrim, Ireland, using 100 trained slaves. The brick used in construction was burned on the job site and the legend has it that sugar was used in the mortar for added strength. The exterior was given a smooth cement finish. The cast iron capitals, doors and stairway was furnished by the Baker Iron Company, Cincinnati, Ohio and shipped by boat to Vicksburg. It was from the tower that forces of General U.S. Grant brought down the Confederate flag at the fall of Vicksburg 4 July 1863. The Old Court House remained unaltered from the 47 day siege, until 1907 when a stucco finish was applied to the exterior. In 1939 a new Warren County Courthouse was built and the Old Court House was vacant until 1948 when Mrs. Eva Davis founded the present Old Court House Museum. In 1952 the roof and exterior was damaged by a tornado and repairs were made. In 1966 repairs were made to roof, balcony and exterior walls. The Old Court House Museum houses one of the largest Civil War collections in America. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MS-119)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 23, 1968
Reference number
68000029
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1861; 1862; 1863

Update Log 

  • December 22, 2011: New photos from Jeff Lovorn

Sources