Pownalborough Courthouse

Cedar Grove Rd., Dresden, Maine

Photos 

Pownalborough Court House; 1761

Photo taken by Brian Bartlett

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

This site of a fortified village, founded by English settlers around 1625, marked the northeastern frontier of New England. Pemaquid was on eof the first and most important centers of intercultural relations between Native Americans and English colonists in present-day Maine. To date, archaeologists have unearthed more than 75,000 artifacts from the foundations of 17 contributing building sites, yielding much information about life in an early American community. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 12, 1993

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 12, 1970
Reference number
70000052
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Education; Politics/Government; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; Meeting hall; Restaurant; Multiple dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Research facility
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1761; 1794; 1794
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • September 3, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
  • August 24, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett

Sources