Lake County Courthouse

255 N. Main St., Lakeport, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"OLD LAKE COUNTY COURTHOUSE - This brick courthouse, constructed by A. P. Pettit in 1870-71, was one of the few buildings in the vicinity to survive the 1906 earthquake with only minor damage. It served Lake County as a seat of government from 1871 until 1968. Precedent-setting trials on water rights were held here, along with the 'White Cap' murder trial in 1890." - California Historic Landmark No.897

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 28, 1970
Reference number
70000134
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1870

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • November 3, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources