Thomas County Courthouse

N. Broad St., Thomasville, Georgia

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Original three story 48'x80' rectangular section with four column Greek Revival portico was built in 1858, John Wind, architect, H.C. & W. Bowen, builders. This structure replaced earlier courthouses on 1827 and 1849 and originally housed both inferior court of Thomas County and the "Town Hall." Courthouse was modified in 1888, Eaves & Wase, contractors, at which time the portico was enclosed, new entrance stairway provided, and new windows and doors with sheet metal trim were added. A clock was added to the cupola in 1909, one story flanking wings were added to the front and rear in 1918-1919 and 1922, and the Classic Revival annex was built in 1937. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1970
Reference number
70000224
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1858; 1888

Update Log 

  • February 24, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources