Old Third District Courthouse

Also known as: Institution for Savings
2nd and William Sts., New Bedford, Massachusetts

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Ned Goode, Photographer August 1961 SOUTH (FRONT) AND WEST ELEVATIONS

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A commercial building erected at the peak of New Bedford's prosperity, which is a rare extant example of Italian Renaissance influence on mid-nineteenth century American architecture. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MA-684)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 28, 1971
Reference number
71000083
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Commerce; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Courthouse; Financial institution
Current functions
Museum; Specialty store
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1853

Update Log 

  • January 14, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • June 2, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources