Old Courthouse

Also known as: Old Berkeley County Courthouse
331 King St., Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

Photo 

Old Berkeley County Courthouse - Mount Pleasant, SC

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2016

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Significant as one of the few examples of Victorian commercial architecture in the Mount Pleasant area and politically significant as county seat for Berkeley from 1884 to 1898. This building was built in 1884 and was used as the Courthouse until 1898 when Mount Pleasant was made part of Charleston County. In the years that followed it was used by both the Lutherans and the Baptists as a church. It is a two-story, rectangular, stucco over brick building, with large matching double stairways leading to the main entrance on the second floor. Stairs are concrete over brick, with granite siding. Beneath and between the stairs is a barrel vaulted entrance into the basement. The stairs mask the entire lower front of the building. The main floor is separated from the lower by a stuccoed course of brick. The walls of the main story are flat, unembellished stucco. The front area contains a double wooden door flanked by a pair of rectangular windows, one pair to a side. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71000760
Architectural style
Victorian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1884

Update Log 

  • January 25, 2016: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views"

Related landmarks 

Sources