Superb craftsmanship, the building was in constant use as a courthouse from 1828 to 2008.
1828 -- Designed by Robert Mills, who also designed the old jail a few blocks over, the court house opens this year. It features fine reeded woodwork and vaulted ceilings. A series of double barrel brick vaults supports the second floor and forms the ceiling of the first.
June 4, 1909 -- The Confederate monument in front of the courthouse is dedicated on this date with thousands attending. It is made of Stonesboro granite from Lancaster County. The soldier on the monument is Captain Amos McManus of Lancaster County.
1913 -- The courthouse has the distinction of being the site of the last witch trials to take place in the United States.
1971 -- It is added to the National Register of Historic Places.
1979 -- The main court room is renovated.
Aug. 4, 2008, the courthouse is heavily damaged, but not destroyed, by an early morning fire. The fire was purposefully set. September 19, 2008 -- A local 17-year-old, Martavious Carter, admits to setting the fire while being interviewed for other crimes he had recently committed.
Post-2008 -- It is replaced as a working court house by a modern structure built next door and now serves as a visitors center for Lancaster.