Marshall County Courthouse

Courthouse Sq., Marshalltown, Iowa

Photos 

Courtesy of Seagram's Bicentennial Collection, VIEW FROM NORTHWEST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This Italianate Renaissance courthouse is a good example of one of two prominent styles in Iowa; the other being Richardson Romanesque. Designed by John C. Cochrane of Chicago, partner of A.H. Piquenard, this structure is similar to the present state capitols in Des Moines and Springfield, Illinois, both being designed by Cochrane. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1972
Reference number
72000478
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Courthouse
Current function
Courthouse
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1884; 1885; 1886

Update Log 

  • September 26, 2013: Updated by Dave King: Added New photos
  • September 26, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
  • June 2, 2012: Imported photo from HABS/HAER

Sources